Pages

Thursday, July 13, 2023

A Meal and a Masquerade

Linda, the cook, led me to the table at the open end of the covered wagon and seated me at a long wooden bench. The aroma of frying bacon assailed my nostrils in a most pleasant manner as I first ate from the bowl of oatmeal that she placed before me. She then brought a platter of thickly sliced bacon to the table, which I devoured as she busied herself in making preparations for my bath. I had observed a stall with a small tub behind the wagon. A huge glass of milk completed the meal.

Linda, the Cook

     “Well, you certainly have a growing boy’s appetite,” she laughed as she cleared the table. “But you have a tender face, which will help with your performance of Topsy.”

     “Yes, ma’am,” I replied.

     “You will carry on the troupe’s tradition of using boys to tumble as Topsy, as Pat has been unable to find a true girl to play the role,” she continued. “Your tender looks will assist greatly in continuing the illusion.”

     I nodded as she spoke, but remained silent. I was earnestly trying to think of how I could prolong my masquerade, as I knew that she had prepared a bath for me. As other members of the O’Carroll Minstrels wandered about, busying themselves for the evening’s performance, George returned.

     “You look well fed, Mel,” he smiled. “As soon as you have your bath, we shall review your lines. I have an edition of Mrs. Stowe’s book that will be easier for you to understand.” He leafed through the book, showing me the many illustrations and verses that comprised the work.

     “Your bath is ready, Mel,” Linda called. “Let’s get you scrubbed clean, you little scamp!” 

     I moved toward her with trepidation. What would happen if she were to discover my secret? Would I be sent back to Blackwell’s Island and its terrors? 

[TO BE CONTINUED.]

No comments: