Pages

Thursday, July 13, 2023

The Cave


     Swirling sand stung my eyes as I took cover in the thick stand of trees near the ferry landing at the shore. Thunder and lightning cracked the air, and wind howled with frightening intensity as the rain pelted down ceaselessly. I could scarcely breathe; my fear of my pursuers was so great. Just then, I saw a small gap near a boulder several yards away. Upon closer scrutiny, I saw that it was a cave. Perhaps it would provide a suitable hiding place, I thought, as I was sure the men had seen me run toward the trees.

     I crept toward the boulder and, using every bit of strength I still possessed, managed to push it away and scurry inside. The tight space was barely large enough to hold me, but I squeezed my frail body as compactly as I could, while attempting to heave the boulder back into place as well. I could not do it! I crouched in the near darkness, listening to the tempest as it raged outside. I was listening for the shouts of the men, but voices were indistinct amidst the terrific gale. I was safe, for the moment, at least. I did my best to gather my wits about me and determine which course I should now take.

     As I ruminated, I noticed that the water had begun to seep in through the gap. That could only mean that the tide was rising. At high tide, I would drown! I began to crawl backward through the tiny crevice in hopes that it would lead me to higher ground. It was ever so slow, but I could sense that the brief distance that I was able to advance had brought me to higher ground. The soil beneath was dry. I would be safe here. 

     I could still hear the violent storm outside, the water and waves crashing with tremendous force against the rocks. I knew that the ferry would not come while the storm raged. I began to weep as I reflected upon my possible fate. What was to become of me? Would I ever see my companions again? Was I all alone in the world? Mercifully, my fears were quickly supplanted by utter exhaustion, and a great dreamless darkness washed over me. 

[TO BE CONTINUED.]

No comments: