Pages

Thursday, July 13, 2023

Cobbled Streets of Blood

    “Come, papa!” I pleaded once more with the injured stevedore. He shook his head as the blood continued to flow from the wound behind his ear. I could see that he had weakened even more.

     “Save yourself, little one, if you can,” he moaned. “It is two blocks south. Go, please. Let my last thoughts be of your certain safety!” His eyes told me that he could not move from the spot. The hordes came nearer. I turned and ran as fast as I could in the direction in which the stevedore had pointed, but the haze caused by the destruction was too thick for me to see through clearly, even as it also obscured me from the mob’s sight.

     I found refuge behind a barrel in another alleyway. I peeked out and saw that the mob was upon him. His unearthly howls of agony as they mercilessly attacked him reverberated in the air. I prayed God’s mercy for his swift release. Their shouts of delight as they literally tore his body apart were the most ungodly sounds I had ever heard in this Christian nation! From my hiding place, I watched as two men lifted the beaten, trampled, and naked body that once held the soul of the stevedore. I shook uncontrollably as the mob finally moved back to gaze upon their hellish achievement. I squeezed my eyes shut in an unsuccessful attempt to hold back my tears.

     Oh, reader, if I could only erase what my eyes had seen! I said another prayer for the stevedore as the crowd began to disperse, no doubt looking for another victim. I tightened my body into a little ball behind the barrel and tried not to breathe as they passed by the alleyway.


[TO BE CONTINUED.]

No comments: