Pages

Thursday, July 13, 2023

A Temporary Refuge

     All manner of humanity peopled the grounds of the island. Many foreigners, especially “those Irish,” according to one of the policemen, lived and worked in the various industries of the island. We also discovered that there was a lunatic asylum, a hospital, and a penitentiary. I overheard Miss Hinton ask, How will we keep the children safe? The policeman answered her: “Miss, it's not the criminals, whores, and loonies, you got to be afraid of, but more the disease, the diarrhea, and the overcrowding.”  


     After disembarking, we were taken, not to the octagonal-shaped structure that I had found so captivating, but to a large, rectangular building called the Alms House. The flagstone floor felt cool beneath my thin-soled shoes. Once inside, we were given food and water, and were kept separated from the other inhabitants. 

     Again, I had the disquieting sensation of familiarity—it nagged at me, and I could not shake its effects. I knew that at some point, I would have to slip away to explore my new surroundings. I especially wanted to see the inside of the octagonal building. 

[TO BE CONTINUED.]

No comments: