Pages

Thursday, July 13, 2023

Pig Alley

     My dispiritedness continued as I made my way along, friendless and hungry. The area I found myself in was still much destroyed and pigs, rather than rioters, now seemed to rule the streets of the city. I passed countless scores, disgusted by the sight of these filthy creatures feasting on the rotted vegetables, meat, and carcasses of small animals that festered in the thick mud of the befouled gutters. Pigs ate everything, I knew, and thus served as efficient aids to the city’s paltry sanitation efforts.

     I approached a small dry goods store that appeared to have been ransacked. Several panes of glass in the shop window were broken and covered with small planks and strips of burlap. I peered through one of the openings and saw a thick-set white woman putting small jars on a high shelf. I hesitated at the thought of appealing to her for victuals, as the sentiment of the city was still very much against colored people. I decided to go through the alley behind the store to see if there were any foodstuffs that had been tossed away. There were none. The absence of pigs informed my eyes that the alley had already been fully divested of comestibles. 

     As the shadow of evening began to spread, I decided to abandon my foraging until morning. I sought shelter and espied a large wooden crate with metal banding at the back of the alley. Inside was a gray woolen blanket. After turning the opening of the crate toward the wall, thus completely enclosing myself, I resolved to sleep until daylight and continue my search for comfort then.

     A horrid sound awakened me. I opened my eyes and found face to face with an enormous pig. A mucilaginous goop blew from its snout as frothy slobber dripped from its mouth. The fierce grunting was ear-splitting as it rammed its face against the crate, causing the wood to splinter and the metal bands to weaken. Baring its tusks, the pig emitted another deafening squeal. I suddenly realized that it was after me! 

[TO BE CONTINUED.]

No comments: