Pages

Thursday, July 13, 2023

Fear of Discovery!


     Just as suddenly as it came, the wind died down and all was still. As I moved back toward the table under which the young Negro woman lay, I accidentally overturned a tray of steel surgical instruments, which clattered to the floor, causing a deafening crash. Muffled adult voices were quickly approaching!

     I scurried into a dark corner, where I hoped its thick burgundy-colored drapes would hide me. The voices became louder and, remaining hidden, I watched as two white-suited attendants entered through a door at the opposite end. Both were pale-complexioned white men who looked as if they had not seen the sun in ages.

     "What's all the noise here?" asked one, looking around anxiously. Just then, cat scampered by with a high-pitched yowl.

     "Scared over a cat, are you?" the other roared with derisive laughter.
 
     "Never mind that," said the first, as he bent down to collect the instruments which had scattered onto the floor.It was then that I saw one which lay exposed barely an inch from my hiding place!

     I dared not breathe as a thick and ruddy hand reached over and snatched up a sinister-looking blade, almost brushing against my toes, which I suddenly realized were not quite hidden as I cringed in the shadows. I squeezed my eyes shut in expectation of discovery!

[TO BE CONTINUED.]



No comments: