Pages

Thursday, July 13, 2023

A Formidable Opponent

     I continued to stare into the ravening jaws of the pig, transfixed. Another squeal pulled me from my reverie and I realized that I had to do something or be torn apart and eaten alive! As the hog’s snout pushed against the crate once more, I emitted a loud screech. My adversary backed away with a start, momentarily disconcerted.

     I continued squealing in my attempt at mimicking its porcine shriek. Perhaps if it found in me a worthy opponent, it would go away. Instead, it began to squeal back, again ramming its snout against the crate. I continued to shriek as well.

     Suddenly, with all the might I could muster, I smashed through the now-weakened crate, forcefully ramming the pig aside and, swiftly rolling myself into a little ball, half-tumbled, half-somersaulted past it. I quickly gained my legs and ran out of the alley. I heard a final, furious shriek, which I could only assume was its wrath at having been outwitted.

     Once I had placed a safe distance between myself and the animal, I was able to chuckle. So happy was I at having made yet another narrow escape that I somersaulted three or four more times through the street.

     "Hey, there, boy,” a voice called out. I sustained my pace, skipping and somersaulting, as the voice continued to beckon. It soon became apparent that the caller was addressing me, as I was still in disguise as a boy.

     I turned and found myself staring into yet another set of huge teeth set inside a wide grinning countenance.

[TO BE CONTINUED.]


No comments: