Pages

Thursday, July 13, 2023

Decampment



     I awakened from my slumber with a start. Darkness was all around, but my rising panic was calmed when I fully regained my senses and remembered that I was in a cave. I could not discern how long I had been in the refuge. Indeed, time and eternity could have passed and I truly would not have doubted it. I crawled toward the opening, where a sliver of light streamed through. Using what strength I had, I thrust aside the boulder which blocked the gap. Sunlight spilled into the enlarged opening, and I peered outside. All was quiet. My pursuers were nowhere in sight.
     I emerged and stood upon the shallow strip of marshy beach just beyond the stand of trees. Water lapped at the shoreline. Slowly gathering my wits, I pulled myself to a sitting position and wiped my eyes with my sleeve. Across the water, I gazed upon the great metropolis silhouetted against a bright blue skyline. I stood to get my bearings and, surveying the beach once more, I espied the steamboat landing which had brought us to the island days earlier. Leaving my temporary encampment, I crept along the beach toward the wharf and hid myself among the marshes. I would await the next boat which would take me back to Manhattan. 


[TO BE CONTINUED.]


1 comment:

Noelle Lorraine Williams said...

Again, nice turn of events. Good narrative