Pages

Thursday, July 13, 2023

An Unearthly Shriek


     As I reached out to touch the walls to get my bearings, the dimmed light brightened. I turned again, and saw now not two, but three passageways before me…had I counted incorrectly? I squeezed my eyes shut and tried to keep myself from shaking. Moments later, the eerie silence was shattered by an unearthly shriek that filled the air. My breath caught in my throat, and I feared that my chattering teeth would give me away to whomever, or whatever, had caused the shriek. Its echo died away and, hearing nothing more, I slowly exhaled.

     I turned again, but each corridor looked exactly like the others. Which way had I come? My disorientation increased and I no longer wanted to find help—I just wanted out. Realizing that I simply must choose a way, I elected to make my way through the middle passage, its dank and chilly walls causing me to shudder each time I brushed against them in my haste to find an exit. As I reached the end, the dim light fading with each step, I found myself standing in front of yet another entranceway, through which I could see a flight of stone steps twisting upward.

     Taking another deep breath and keeping close to the wall, I began my ascent. I glanced back as I climbed, only to find that total blackness had swallowed up its space. There was no choice but to keep on my path.


[TO BE CONTINUED.]

No comments: